About Purposeful Business
In recent years it has become crystal clear that business is not doing a good enough job of serving people and planet. 85% of employees around the world are disengaged at work. The environment is on its knees, suffering the consequences of our take-make-waste ways of operating. And as citizens and consumers, we’re confronted daily by stories that erode our trust in the motives of business leaders.
Of course, it doesn’t need to be this way! Businesses can and should be part of the solution, and Millennials/Gen Z expect them to be just that. The great news is that courageous, conscious business leaders are reknitting a new contract between business and society… and they are showing that it’s great for the bottom line. Even Wall Street is getting behind the Purposeful Business movement.
- …are guided by a powerful Shared Purpose (or Mission) that expresses the organisation's reason for being, and the value they seek to create for themselves and for society
- …seek to benefit all key stakeholders: employees, customers, wider society, the environment, and more.
Purposeful businesses understand that there’s something magnetic about a powerful Shared Purpose, a culture-first organisation, and a business model that’s people- and planet- friendly… or at least, moving in bold steps in that direction. Everyone who’s involved feels inspired by the opportunity to contribute to something bigger; and by the strong sense of belonging that results.
What’s the case for change?
Purposeful Business isn’t just this decade’s strategy or management fad. Purposeful leaders lead from the heart - they deeply and genuinely want to improve the lives of everyone their business touches: including generations to come.
However, they also know it makes great business sense, whether you’re shaping a start-up or stewarding a gigantic multinational. It’s well proven that Purposeful businesses:
- Attract the best talent
- Have happier, more highly motivated and higher performing staff
- Retain their best staff for longer
- Are more attractive for customers, esp. millennial and Gen Z
- Build more resilient supply chains
- Perform better in terms of sales, profit and shareholder returns
Click here to see the Evidence Base.
Get in touch if you’d like to discuss!